Wednesday, November 14, 2007

If I worked at Google


I would develop a complementary search engine for them. I found myself in the need of a new kind of search engine yesterday. I wanted to search for a thing but I didn’t even know the name of the thing. That makes it kind of hard to search, doesn’t it? So why now develop a place where you can find the right names for stuff so you easier can find them when you want to Google them?

In my case I wanted to search for an accessory for aquarium and didn’t know the name of the thing. The search engine that would help me find the right word could work like this: I want to know the name for object X and the only thing I know about the object X is that it has something to do with Aquariums. So I start the search for Aquariums and then I get a lot of words that is related to Aquariums so I can continue to look for the word. Google knows what kind of words that can be related to Aquarium and shows them for me with both words and pictures. I would choose the word suitable for me and get more options related to those two words. By choosing new words connected to my first word I will narrow it down to the word I am looking for. Eventually I would find the right word and then get all the links listed underneath just like Google works today. The difference is only that Google helped me search by finding me the right word.

It would almost be like playing the Guess Who? board game I played as a child.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my yes! It indeed is quite frustrating. So often am I not able to find what I actually need.

Did you ever find it? What about searching through del.icio.us?

Dan

Elin Johansson said...

I found it eventually. But I had to do the search in many laps to narrow down the search results.

I haven't search through del.icio.us. I will take a look. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Sound like a great idea. I think you shold give it some aditional considderation, wiret it down, and go to Google and apply for them to assign you a group of people to work with you ina project!

lots of love